Thursday, March 11, 2010

Local Radio Host Scammed By Facebook Fraud Reporting

There's an impostor out there and Sharyn Fein of North Dallas is not happy.

"I'm absolutely terrified and I'm very upset."

Someone hacked into Fein's Facebook profile and contacted nearly 50 of her friends.

"I soon discovered that somebody was acting as me. Somebody had been studying who I was and had all my personal information to talk to all of my different friends."

The impostor sent each friend a very convincing message: "I'm in London, I've been robbed and I need your help."

Facebook friend, Mike Rhyner received the message and immediately replied. "Is there anything I can do? She said we don't have any money. Our money and credit cards and cell phone were taken."

Rhyner is co-host of The Hardline on 1310 the Ticket. He says he didn't think twice when he wired his dear friend more than $1,000. "This woman is on my no questions asked list. If she needs something from me, I'm there; period, case closed."

But when serious doubt settled in, the well-known radio host did some checking and discovered his friend was not in London.

"I was grateful because Mike has my back and it's nice to be loved, but I didn't want to come at that great loss. That was a lot of money" says Fein.

Rhyner was able to stop the wire transfer and ultimately got his money back. Fein says she complained to Facebook, but got no results. So the sports talk-show host took to the airwaves to warn his listeners.

No comments:

Post a Comment